Sunday, 19 August 2012

From whence this came...


Many have described their heart transplant as a second chance of life but for me it was more like a first chance, as I was born with a congenital heart defect that significantly limited what I could do throughout my child and early adulthood.

I've been extraordinarily lucky with my health in the years since my transplant and have had lots of fantastic "firsts" however they seem to have become a little thinner on the ground of late and I find my self forgetting what it took to get where I am today. 

The 20/20 Heart Challenge was born out of a need to do something positive to mark my twentieth anniversary in a meaningful way that gives thanks to the  family of my donor and all the staff who have cared for me over the last twenty years at The Freeman Hospital where I had my operation and at Papworth Hospital, who now provide my continuing care. 

The list of "firsts" is still in its formative phase, hubby having talked me out of tackling Ben Nevis in half term with the kiddies, however lots of avid googling is taking place so watch this space...

Follow this link to join the Organ Donor register in the UK

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie
    Congratulations on your 20 years milestone! Good Luck with your climb. I am be happy to make a donation and am looking forward to hearing more on your blog. Kim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Kim. x

    ReplyDelete