Tuesday, 1 January 2013

New Year Challenge Update

New Year is traditionally a time for retrospection and resolutions, so a good opportunity to take stock of my achievements to date and think a little more about my plans for the next 8 months.

So far I've:
  1. Climbed my first mountain; this was amazing and exhausting in equal measure and I'm planning to scale some more peaks in 2013.
  2. Learned how to punt; as a non-swimmer, this was an enormous challenge and I spent the first ten or fifteen minutes hyperventilating at the side of the Cam before I calmed down enough to have a go!
  3. Learned how to hula hoop; love hooping and this is something that I now do most days and have even been known to take my hoop into the office.
  4. Had my first road bike ride; road bike riding was fantastic and I would love to get my own road bike and take on a long distance cylce ride.
  5. Taken up tap dancing; still love the sound the tap shoes make on the studio floor.

Challenges in progress:

Skipping was something I was unable to do as a child as it was too vigorous, so makes a perfect heart challenge that fits in well with family time with the children.  We've spent lots of time in the Christmas holidays: hula hooping, bouncy hopping and skipping in the garden and I'm currently managing around 5 skips before I trip on the rope.   Thinking that I should aim for 20 unbroken skips before I can declare this challenge complete!

Ice-skating seemed a seasonally appropriate challenge, however it is something I've had a go at before so doesn't qualify as a first,.  Last time I went ice-skating was in 1995 and I found the whole experience terrifying, envisaging broken bones and sliced fingers. My skating technique involved moving gingerly along whilst holding onto the side or holding Keith's hand tightly out on the rink; it was the first time we ever held hands.

At the close of 2012 we took the children into Cambridge for their first ever ice-skating session, whilst my challenge was to stay upright and move independently on the ice without holding onto the side, AKA skate! Sadly my technique hadn't magically improved in the intervening years and I managed a haltering meter or so when I wasn't holding onto the side or my spouse. More work needed and a good excuse for another trip to the North Pole before the Twelfth day of Christmas.

Thoughts for 2013

My Challenge is a work in progress and I haven't got a definitive list that I'm ticking off but lots of ideas of fun things to do:
  1. Tobogganing
  2. Climb Scafell Pike
  3. kayaking
  4. Abseiling
  5. Walk along Hadrian's Wall
  6. Rock climbing
None of this would have been possible without the kindness of my organ donors family and they are often in my thoughts.


...........................

I'm doing this to help raise funds for these two fantastic charities:

To make a donation to the Papworth Hospital Charity please visit my justgiving page at http://www.justgiving.com/Angie4papworth

To make a donation to The Freeman Heart and Lung Transplant Association, please visit my justgiving page at http://www.justgiving.com/Angie-Ridley

Find out more about organ donation and sign the register...

Click #2020heartchallenge #lifegiven @angie_ridley

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie, love your ideas for your 20/20 challenge! Did I ever tell you that I used to do tap dancing? Had lessons as a child and even took part in a Record Breakers challenge in 1981! Last did tap dancing just before moving up to Goathland, but it's something I'd quite like to go back to sometime. I know you came up to my family's holiday cottage on the Norfolk Broads when Joe was a baby. We now have 3 inflatable kayaks in the family - maybe you'd like to join us up there in the summer and give kayaking a go on the River Thurne - even Imogen was in the kayak on her own last summer (although with a tow rope firmly attached!) Let me know. Ursula x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fabulous, thank you Ursula.

    Angie x

    ReplyDelete